Thursday, October 13, 2005

As the door on this Age swings shut behind me, the door to the next begins to crack...

ATTENTION FUTURE BRETT: I know you'll read this blog after the point now and then, occationaly through the years. Probably has been a long time since, and it probably will be a long time again. I want to you to stop, now, and look around yourself. Where are you? WHO are you? What is new or changed. Beyond that, what is in the NOW? Are you sitting, standing? Smiling, weeping? Stop and look at the NOW, apart from everything that has gone, and cherish it. Try to grok it, and in the attempt come closer to the Universe.

Whew. I should write Graduation speeches.

I do feel like I'm coming to the end of an era. I am grown and out in the world. I have completed my basic schooling, and I am ready to join the adult community. I have partied like a fucking rock start, and I have enough street cred to kick it with the old dogs. I am approaching a place where it will be time to take a breath, evaluate, and start to refine these powers I have developed. Boot camp is about over, and it's time for Officer's Academy.

Thought of settling in Seattle is a very pleasant one. I look forward to being somewhere with no plans to leave in the foreseeable future. Not that I want to be tied down, but I would like to be able to relax into a place. I did that some in Moscow, but there was always the prospect of graduation and the Real World looming. Coming the London was an artful way to put that off. Here I was able to settle into a work schedule, pretend to be a boring adult for a few weeks at a time, but then it was off to the next country and the world was a whirl again. I look forward to not having anything to do. Not being in a rush to go anywhere, do anything, rush off again. I don't want any more Deadlines,

To do Theatre for a real living would be bliss, but I'm not too keen on the thought of a job that is guaranteed to only last 3 or 4 months. I've sent applications to a number of shows on backstagejobs.com, but they're mostly in DC and New Your state and probably wouldn't pay the cost of the plane ticket for the whole run. A steady place in a house would be heaven, but I'm wouldn't dare hope (not that that will stop me from handing them my resume).

Besides, I still don't feel like I'm ready to pursue a Career, in any field. I still have honing and polishing to do before I'm ready to seriously focus my energies on something external. In The Celestine Prophesy, one of the revelations (six? seven?) is about love. It says that each person is a partially completed circle. Every now and then we meet another partially completed circle who fits perfectly to make the whole. The two people are as one, and they become necessary to each other. The revelation is that if you complete your own circle and find another completed circle, you can both enjoy all the benefits of being completed together without the need, without the addiction.

I read this when I was about 20, living in a dark little basement apartment and ignoring school in favor of being a rebellious hippie kid. It stuck me very deeply. Of course. I need to compete my own circle before I can truly be able to give to another. Otherwise I'll be using them as a crutch, and they'll be doing the same.

This applies to my relationship with Life as well. I'm not done with enough of my circle. But I'm getting closer. I'm about to Level Up again. This time I want to spend most of my Experience Points on Wisdom. As always, I'll got where the tide of the Universe takes me. I think I feel it beginning to pull in a new direction, and it's exciting.


I'm out of metaphors.


Right. So it looks like this weekend I'm going back up to Scotland to hunt down Affleck Castle. Eddie, the wonderful man Brooke and I stayed with in Edinburgh, has agreed to put me up for another night and drive me the 60-odd miles out of Edinburgh to where the Castle is. Apparently it's visible from the road. It's not open to the public, but Eddie is confident we won't have any problems just hiking out to it. I have yet to purchase the train tickets, because the stupid website isn't working well. The price went up due to availability of times and seats about £25 from this afternoon to now, and I really hope I can get the good tickets before I got to bed. It could be up anther fifty quid when I wake up.

I also need to get my plane tickets for Vienna for next weekend. I'm going to visit my cousin Ryco, the son of Cassie whom I visited in the Carnies.

So I'll try that now.

Cheers!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that your family has a castle. But my family's castle is prettier: http://www.arts.ed.ac.uk/europgstudies/ (it's the picture on the far left).

5:25 PM, October 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home