Sunday, October 09, 2005

Castles, good art, and crappy clubs

I've actually been spending my time well lately, I think.

Last Saturday I went with Andrea to the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Tate Modern. Pretty amazing stuff. They had the bulk of her works there, and of course it was arranged in the story of her life and career. It was a lot of Frida to take in all at once (god, that unibrow...), but on retrospect I'm really glad we went. Some of her work left me cold, but other stuff was truly amazing. Her later work on religion is really incredible. I particularly liked this piece, which I believe is her treatise on world religion.

Andrea and I have had the awkward "This is fun but that's all it is" conversation, and things are good. We see each other now and then, and it's fun. I like this adult style, non-commital dating thing. My dad commented once that kids today don't date around the way people used to, it's much more about monogamous relationships. I've decided that's largely due to the introduction of sex into younger, non-married couples. Suddenly dating around is potentially dangerous. It's nice to relax a little and not worry about "where the relationship is going." Not that I'm having huge amounts of casual sex, mind you. But you know what I mean.

Went to another BUNAC pub meet. Always good times, and it's fun to be around a grip of North Americans again. It's also fun to be the experienced one. They all just got here a few weeks ago, and I'm about to leave. I'm just full of advice for good places to go and good clubbing.

Speaking of clubbing, I went to a fucking AWFUL one last night.

Wait, backtrack a little. Have I mentioned Lynda, the girl I got a job at my ISP? She was at the last BUNAC pub meet I went to, and when I announced the credit control position (calling up people who owe us money), she was the only one who was really interested. She's good times.

Saturday was her birthday, so we went out with a bunch of her friends. We went to Tottenham Court Road (very central London, near Soho) and waited for one more person for like 45 goddamn minutes. He was called, and he said we were going to a club called the "Frog," (He was the man with the plan) and we were supposed to "find the guy with the fliers." There are DOZENS of guys with flyers, all for different clubs. WTF!

He finally shows up, and we have flyers for a good club with good music and cheap prices, but not the Frog. He dismisses this and leaves again to find the Frog flyers. Finally comes back, we find the place, wait in line for an hour, and FINALLY get inside. And it sucks. It sucks really, really hard. I can't define the music genre, but the best I can come up with is the White Strips, if they sucked really, really hard. And it was £3.20 for a CAN of STELLA. For reference, that's like paying $3 for a pint can of Pabst. Completely ridiculous. Finally the band comes on, and they SUCK EVEN HARDER. Everyone is ready to go except Capt. Dipshit (sorry to steal the the name, Cricket!). They are going back to their place afterwards, which is in the wrong direction, and it's already Night Bus time, so I just headed home.

It is seriously to my credit that I didn't give Capt Dipshit a swift shot to the kisser. His idea of dancing was to shake the very drunken birthday girl by the shoulders, hard. For like a half hour. We had to stop him. I really kind of wanted to shake off the pacifistic hippie thing off and beat him senseless. But we had lots of fun hanging out at Lynda's before we met jerkwad, and I got the number of a cool theatre chick from Santa Cruz, so it still gets chalked up as a good night.

Oops, I skipped an event.

Saturday day, before all this, my housemate Ben and I went to the Tower of London. Saw the sights, took in the culture, and had a great tour from a really talented Yeomen Warder. Thick Scottish accent and a flair for working with crowds. The ravens there were magnificent, unlike any birds I've seen in the States. Truly the Stately Ravens of Yore I was hoping for. (Randy, I didn't know which one was Thor, but I asked one to pass your greetings on to him)

I still haven't sold that stupid bicycle. My price keeps dropping, I keep getting people calling/emailing about it, but nothing goes through. I'm starting to get worried. It won't be earth-shattering if I don't sell it, but it would be really nice to have an extra £150 in my pocket. That was my primary financial misstep while I was here. Really not that bad of one, I guess. I haven't even ridden it a half-dozen times. There's just nowhere near here I want to ride it in, and I don't want to take it on the Tube to somewhere I do want to ride it. That and I don't have a helmet or a lock, so I don't want to dance with traffic and I can't leave it anywhere. Meh.

What else...oh, I played a friendly game of football with the office last week (that's soccer to us Yanks). And god DAMN did I hurt the next day. Lots of muscles that haven't been worked in a LONG time. I can still run, I just can't stop and change direction a lot, and that's all the game is. My hack skills came in a little handy goalkeeping, but I don't think I'll play again next week. I don't need that kind of pain right now.

Almost time to leave. The countdown continues. I need to check my bank account tomorrow, and see if I can make it to Vienna. If the bike sells, that would pay for the plane ticket. That would be AWESOME. I've picked the weekend of the 22-23 to go, so we'll see. I'll make the decision tomorrow, likely.

Right then. I've spent a large chunk of today reading Questionable Content, a web comic I found today. Now and then I go hunting for a new one, and when I find one that I like I read the archives straight through. Usually a good three or four hours of entertainment. I recommend it.

Time for a little more web surfing, then a reasonable bedtime. I have a week of heavy work ahead of me, with Paul gone. Speaking of which (Mom), I got an ergonomic keyboard at work, so that is helping my wrists a lot. I'm not letting them hurt in the bad and damaging way, they just get tired when I have to really push. So I should stop typing and rest up for tomorrow.

Rock!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ski.....Somewhere along the way you got a good dose of common sence. I thank the powers that be.... :)
I'm so glad you're still trying to get to Venece. I just wish I could get some $$$ to you. Please let me know if I still can!
(nice totally public plea!)

7:31 AM, October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home